Rebecca Campbell, PhD
I currently serve as the Associate Provost for Academic Administration at New Mexico State University. For NMSU I am particularly focused on writing policy, leadership development for department heads and faculty grievances.
I am also an Emeritus Professor of Educational Psychology and President's Distinguished Teaching Fellow at Northern Arizona University where I taught courses on the theory of teaching and learning in the College of Education. Generally, my work focuses on how pedagogy and academic policies facilitate student success in higher education. My interests include looking at best practices in first-year seminar design, academic probation interventions, common reading programs and gateway courses. I have over 25 years of experience in first-year student success, higher education policy, academic leadership and faculty personnel issues. And I don't want to forget that with Paul Hettich, I am the co-author of Learning Strategies for College and Career, 3rd ed.
Academic Intentions is my private business and the ideas here have been richly influenced by my higher education experiences but they are all my own. I look forward to exploring how my background could be a resource for your personal journey in higher education.
Texas A&M University*
Emphasis: Human Learning & Development
Texas A&M University*
Curriculum & Instruction
Emphasis: Science Education
New Mexico State University*
B.S. - Secondary Education
B.A. - Chemistry
Selected Awards & Leadership Experiences:
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society (2016 – present).
- Department Chair/Academic Transition Programs (2006 – 2016): This unit oversaw several student success initiatives including two first-year seminars courses a probation intervention course, a transition course for international students, the common reading program and a large undergraduate peer mentoring program. The department was responsible for coordinating with campus constituencies to integrate student needs into overall programming, and program assessment.
- First-Year Learning Initiative Leadership Committee (2011 – 2012): This group oversaw the implementation of NAU’s initiative targeted at increasing academic success for students in gateway courses.
- Recognized by the NAU Athletics’ Family as an Outstanding Educator and Leader (2013, 2014 & 2015)
- University College Faculty Fellow (2012 – 2016).
- Recognized as author of the Month for NAU 100 Course Pack, Hayden-McNeill Publishers,(January 2012).
- Selected for the NAU University Leadership Program, sponsored by the Office of the President, year-long course, (2012 – 2013).
- Selected for inaugural cohort for NAU Supervisor’s Academy, sponsored by NAU Human Resources, 14-week course, (Summer 2014).
Course Design Related to Student Success:
- Experience designing the following types of first-year seminars and student success courses:
- Transition to College
- Study Skills
- Interest Specific
- Academic Probation Intervention
- Online transition for community college transfers
- Chaired Curriculum and Assessment Coordinating Committee, a key committee of the Faculty Senate, Northern Arizona University (2016 – 2017).
- Currently completing ACUE course in Effective Teaching Practices.
- Served as course coordinator for NAU’s study skills first-year seminar intervention for students admitted academically at-risk for ~20 years.
Selected Professional Development:
Attended PODnetwork 42nd Annual POD Conference, Professional and Organizational Development Network, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, October 25, 2017.
- Attended Students in Transition 24th Annual Conference, National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition, October 21, 2017.
- Attended the Gateways 2 Completion Conference, John N. Gardner Institute, Las Vegas, NV, February 2017.
- Featured in video BbLearn Essentials for Students, e-learning Center, Northern Arizona University, August, 2017.
- Attended Thriving From the Start, pre-conference workshop conducted by Laurie Schreiner, Ph.D., National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition, February, 2017.
- Attended Supporting Instructors of Gateway Courses: Tools and Techniques for Teaching Excellence Program and/or Center Leaders. Pre-conference workshop conducted by Kathryn Cunningham, Ph.D., & Lindsay Wheeler, Ph.D., Gateways 2 Completion Conference, John N. Gardner Institute, Las Vegas, NV, February 2017.
- Selected for the May Teaching Seminar 2017, Promoting and Assessing Engaged Learning with Elizabeth Barkley, Faculty and Professional Development Program, May 15 – 17, 2017.
- Selected for the May Teaching Seminar 2013, Collaborative Learning: Principles, Design, and Practices for Multiple Course Formats, Faculty and Professional Development Program, May 15 – 17, 2013.
- Completed train the trainer session for Campus Connect Suicide Prevention Training, conducted by the Syracuse University Counseling Center Division of Student Affairs, sponsored by the NAU Counseling Center, June 18, 2014.
- Completed Kognito Gatekeeper’s Training for intervening with at-risk students, sponsored by NAU Health Promotions, online, 2012.
- Selected for The May Teaching Seminar 2012, Deepening the Impact of First-Year Students’ Learning Experiences with Elizabeth Barkley, May 16 – 18, 2012.
- Completed On Course I (July 2011) and On Course II (May 2015) workshops.
Service Related to Student Success:
- Member or the review board of eSource for College Transitions, (2016 – 2019).Incoming Co-Chair for the student judicial NAU Hearing Board (2018 – ongoing).
- Persistence & Completion Academy Mentor, Higher Learning Commission (2015 – present).Served on the student judicial NAU Hearing Board (2009 – present).
- Reviewer for First-Year Experience Conferences and Meetings, National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition (2010 – present).Served on and Chaired, NAU’s Academic Standards Committee, a key committee of the faculty senate which sets policies related to enrollment and matriculation (2015-2016).
- Reviewer, Paul P. Fidler Research Grant, National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition (2016 – present).Co-Chair, College of Education Recruitment & Retention Committee, NAU, (2016 – 2018).Faculty Liaison for Education House Residential Learning Community, NAU, (2017 – 2018).
- Reviewer for AERA 2018 Annual Conference (2017 – present).
- Member of the First-Year Advisory Board for Common Reading Programs, Penguin, Random House (2010 – 2015).
- Member of the editorial review board of the Journal of the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition, (2002 – 2015).